Located in California, LLNL was established in 1952 as a multidisciplinary R&D center focusing on weapons development and stewardship and homeland security. The laboratory is operated by Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC, for the NNSA. At the LLNL main site, EM has been tasked by Congress to demolish several excess facilities.
LLNL Site 300 is a remote experimental testing facility where the Department conducts research, development, and testing of high explosives and
integrated non-nuclear weapons components. EM is responsible for addressing the remaining groundwater contamination issues at Buildings 812, 850 and 865 at Site 300.
Planned Cleanup Scope 2021-2031
Over the next decade, based on NNSA mission needs and funding availability, EM anticipates continuing to perform demolition work on remaining higher risk excess facilities. These facilities include Building 251 (Heavy Elements Facility), Building 292 (Rotating Target Neutron Source), Building 241 (Pluto Project Testing and Fabrication Facility), Building 343 (Explosives and High Pressure Testing Facility), LS212/Building 212 (Accelerator Facility), and other process contaminated facilities.
At Site 300, EM will move forward with selecting and implementing remedial actions for Building 812, Building 865, and Building 850 groundwater. An amended ROD documenting the selected treatment path forward is expected to be issued in 2026. Implementation of the selected path forward is anticipated to be initiated in 2029, and responsibility for the completed remedies is anticipated to be transferred to NNSA in 2031.
Key Regulatory Milestones 2021-2031
The key regulatory milestones listed below for soil and water remediation are required by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Site 300 Federal Facility Agreement and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA).
- Final remedial investigation/feasibility study (RI/FS) for Building 865 part 2 — September 26, 2022
- Final RI/FS for Building 812 — May 29, 2023
- Final proposed plan for Building 812, Building 865, Building 850 perchlorate in groundwater — February 18, 2025
- Final ROD amendment for Building 812, Building 865, and perchlorate in Building 850 groundwater — May 25, 2026
- Final remedial design for Building 812, Building 865, and perchlorate in Building 850 groundwater — August 16, 2027