The Office of Environment, Health, Safety and Security launched the voluntary GreenBuy Award Program in fiscal year (FY) 2010, to recognize DOE sites for excellence in sustainable, or “green,” purchasing that meets and extends beyond the minimum compliance requirements. By participating in the GreenBuy Program, sites leverage the Federal government’s purchasing dollars to achieve mission goals while improving the marketplace for sustainable products and services and reducing the overall environmental impacts of DOE’s operations.
The winners of the DOE Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 GreenBuy Award were announced at the January 27, 2022, Sustainable Acquisition Working Group teleconference. In 2021, nine DOE sites were recognized with the Bronze, Silver and Gold Level awards, and one with the Silver GreenSpace award. These awards are achieved by purchasing products certified to sustainability standards or containing certain sustainable attributes, as identified on the DOE Priority Products List. Additionally, four of the FY 2021 Gold Level winners were also recognized for achieving the Gold Level multiple times with the FY 2021 Prime (for winning the Gold Level 3 or more times), and Superior awards (for winning the Gold Level 5 or more times.)
The winners of the FY 2021 GreenBuy Award are:
- Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant (4 products in 2 categories)
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science & Education (6 products in 3 categories)
- Pantex Plant (6 products in 4 categories)
- Argonne National Laboratory (6 products in 4 categories)
- Brookhaven National Lab (18 products in 7 categories)
- Moab UMTRA Project (9 products in 6 categories)
- Office of Scientific and Technical Information (15 products in 7 categories)
- Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (9 products in 6 categories)
- Y-12 National Security Complex (10 products in 5 categories)
The winners of the FY 2021 GreenBuy Prime and Superior Award are:
- Moab UMTRA Project (4th Gold Level = Prime Award)
- Office of Scientific and Technical Information (7th Gold Level = Superior Award)
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (6th Gold Level = Superior Award)
- Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (5th Gold Level= Prime Award)
The GreenSpace Award was introduced in FY 2021 and recognizes DOE sites achieving goals for multiple products within a single space or function (i.e., cafeteria, conference room/auditorium, fleet/garage, grounds/landscaping, or research laboratory). This award can be achieved at the Bronze, Silver, or Gold levels.
The winner of the FY 2021 GreenSpace Award is:
- Legacy Management’s Weldon Spring Interpretive Center (meeting 90% of the sustainable purchasing goals required for the Auditorium/Conference Space category)
Sustainable Acquisition Tip:
Now is the time for DOE sites to work toward achieving the FY 2022 GreenBuy/GreenSpace Award by identifying products and setting up contracts and purchasing agreements to meet the goals. To learn more, view the GreenBuy and GreenSpace Award Program Guide or contact Shab Fardanesh (EHSS-21), (202)-586-7011.