Working at EERE
At the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE), we recognize that our staff is our greatest asset to accomplish our clean energy mission.
We constantly strive for a workplace that is inclusive and values each individual’s experience, perspective, and contribution. We strive to retain the best talent, and create an engaged workforce to fulfill our mission. When our employees achieve their full potential for leadership and innovation, we are better able to foster capacity growth and allow individuals, teams, and organizations to reach their full potential. Our goal is to be an employer of choice and a diversity leader, and we measure our success by the engagement of our employees, the satisfaction of our customers, and our relationships with the communities we serve.
FAQ About Federal Employment
What benefits do federal employees receive?
- Benefits for federal employees include generous leave policies, insurance coverage for employees and eligible family members, and retirement benefits. To learn more, please visit the OPM website.
What type of health insurance can federal employees choose?
- Through the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, employees can choose from a wide selection of health insurance options for themselves and eligible family members. To learn more, please visit the OPM website.
What is a GS pay scale?
- The General Schedule (GS) classification and pay system covers the majority of civilian white-collar federal employees in professional, technical, administrative, and clerical positions. Within the GS system, there are 15 grades, with 10 steps within each grade. To learn more, please visit the OPM website.
Do federal employees get an annual raise?
- Federal employees within the General Schedule may receive an annual cost of living increase. To learn more please visit the OPM website.
- Within the GS pay scale, step increases in each grade are based on performance and longevity. To learn more, please visit OPM website.
- For more information on senior executive service, please visit the OPM website.
Do federal employees get a pension?
- The Federal Employees Retirement System provides employees with a retirement plan with funds from three different sources, including social security, the Thrift Savings Plan and a Basic Benefits Plan. Learn more from the OPM.
How many federal holidays do employees get off per year?
Benefits of Federal Employment
Learn more about the benefits for new and prospective federal employees at the Office of Personnel Management.