For more than 30 years, the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) State Energy Program (SEP) has provided funding and technical assistance to states, U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia. State Energy Offices use SEP funds to develop state plans that advance energy solutions through regional networks, strategic energy planning, executive orders, legislation and local ordinances, management of local retrofits, and land-use plans. The SEP Operations Manual is a reference tool for the SEP network states and program officials within DOE. This manual contains information needed to administer the State Energy Program.
SEP released the following guidance documents, listed chronologically below, that explain how states must report and manage SEP program funding. More program guidance documents are available on the Recovery Act Guidance by Topic page.
Representing 40 states, four territories, and the District of Columbia, over 100 attendees shared their expertise, insight, and experience with peers in working to navigate SEP Formula Grant award management and implementation at the 2019 SEP National Training Forum, Aug. 13–14, 2019, in Denver, Colorado. Thanks to all who helped make this event a success! Download presentations.
2020 Program Guidance
- SEP 2020 Administrative and Legal Requirements Document (ALRD) – Issued February 3, 2020 – This ALRD is to solicit the annual grant applications under State Energy Program for Program Year 2020.
- Program Year 2020 State Energy Program Formula Grant Application Instructions – Effective February 3, 2020
- Annual Summary Template PY20
- PY20 State Formula Allocations
2019 Program Guidance
- SEP Program Notice 10-006E: DOE Reporting Requirements for the State Energy Program – Effective March 31, 2019
- SEP 2019 Administrative and Legal Requirements Document (ALRD) – Issued March 1, 2019 – This ALRD is to solicit the annual grant applications under State Energy Program for Program Year 2019.
- Program Year 2019 State Energy Program Formula Grant Guidance 19-01 – Effective March 1, 2019
- Annual Summary Template PY19
- Letter to Grantees Regarding Maintenance of Records to Document Work Performed to Support SEP Grant Activities – Issued Jan. 22, 2019 – This letter reminds grantees of the requirement to maintain records that accurately reflect the work performed by grantees to support SEP grant activities.
- PY19 State Formula Allocations
2018 Program Guidance
- SEP 2018 Administrative and Legal Requirements Document (ALRD) (Modification 0001), Modified June 26, 2018 – This ALRD is to solicit the annual grant applications under SEP for Program Year 2018.
- SEP 2018 ALRD Issued Feb. 7, 2018 – This ALRD is to solicit the annual grant applications under SEP for Program Year 2018.
- Program Year 2018 SEP Formula Grant Guidance 18-02 – Effective June 26, 2018
- Program Year 2018 SEP Formula Grant Guidance 18-01 – Effective Feb. 7, 2018
- Annual Summary Template FY18
- PY18 State Formula Allocations
2017 Program Guidance
- SEP 2017 Administrative and Legal Requirements Document (ALRD) – This ALRD is to solicit the annual grant applications under SEP for Program Year 2017.
- Program Year 2017 SEP Formula Grant Guidance – Effective Jan. 19, 2017
- Annual Summary Template FY17
- PY17 State Formula Allocations
2016 Program Guidance
- SEP 2016 Administrative and Legal Requirements Document (ALRD)
This ALRD is to solicit the annual grant applications under SEP for Program Year 2016.
- Program Year 2016 SEP Formula Grant Guidance
Effective Feb. 26, 2016
- SEP Program Notice 10-008E, Guidance for State Energy Program Grantees on Financing
Effective May 20, 2016
- NEPA Determination FY16
2015 Program Guidance
- SEP 2015 Administrative and Legal Requirements Document (ALRD)
This ALRD is to solicit the annual grant applications under SEP for Program Year 2015.
- Program Year 2015 SEP Formula Grant Guidance
Effective Feb. 27, 2015
- NEPA Determination FY15
2014 Program Guidance
- SEP Program Notice 10-006D, Reporting Requirements
Effective Sept. 19, 2014
- SEP Program Notice 14-2, Implementation Model Guidance
Effective July 1, 2014
- SEP 2014 Administrative and Legal Requirements Document (ALRD)
This ALRD is to solicit the annual grant applications under the SEP for Program Year 2014.
- Program Year 2014 SEP Formula Grant Guidance
Effective March 19, 2014
- NEPA Determination FY14
SEP 10-006C DOE Reporting Requirements for the State Energy Program
SEP Program Notice 10-006C effective Feb. 4, 2013
Attachment to EECBG-SEP Reporting Guidance: Process Metrics List
SEP 10-008D Guidance for State Energy Program Grantees on Financing Programs
SEP Program Notice 10-008D effective Oct. 26, 2012
SEP 12-002 Guidance for State Energy Program Grantees on Interest Rate Buy-Down Programs
SEP Program Notice 12-002 effective June 4, 2012
SEP 12-001 Guidance for State Energy Program Recipients on Policy and Procedures Pursuant to the Closeout of American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Grants
SEP Program Notice 12-001 effective Nov. 9, 2011
SEP Reporting Guidance: Program Notice 10-006B
Effective June 23, 2011
SEP 10-008C Guidance for State Energy Program Grantees on Financing Programs
SEP Program Notice 10-008C effective March 14, 2011
SEP 11-001 Guidance on Basic Best Practices in Management of Energy Performance in Buildings
SEP Program Notice 11-001 effective Jan. 21, 2011
In some cases, DOE combined guidance documents for SEP and EECBG Program.
SEP 10-001 National Environmental Policy Act Guide for SEP and EECBG Projects
SEP Program Notice 10-001 and EECBG Program Notice 10-003 effective Dec. 16, 2009.
SEP 10-002 Retooling and Manufacturing Program Guidance Using SEP Funds
SEP Program Notice 10-002 effective Dec. 22, 2009
SEP 10-003A Guidance on Implementation of the Davis-Bacon Act Prevailing Wage Requirements for SEP Grant Recipients under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
SEP Program Notice 10-003A revised guidance effective April 7, 2010
SEP 10-004A Guidance on Davis-Bacon Act Requirements for Recovery Act-Funded Rebate, Grant and Financing Programs for Individual Homeowners Conducted Under SEP, EECBG Program and Appliance Rebate Program
SEP Program Notice 10-004A revised guidance effective April 7, 2010
SEP 10-005 Historic Preservation DOE Program Guidance
SEP program notice 10-005 effective Feb. 11, 2010
SEP 10-006A DOE Recovery Act Reporting Requirements
SEP Program Notice 10-006A effective Sept. 20, 2010
SEP 10-006A Reporting Guidance Process Metric List
SEP Program Notice 10-006A Attachment
SEP 10-007A DOE Recovery Act Jobs Creation Reporting Requirements
SEP Program Notice 10-007A effective Sept. 29, 2010
SEP 10-008B Guidance on Financing Program
SEP Revised Program Notice 10-008B effective Aug.10, 2010
SEP 10-010 Guidance on Davis-Bacon Act Wage Rates for ARRA-Funded State Energy Program Projects Including Residential Weatherization Work
SEP Program Notice 10-010 effective May 6, 2010
SEP 10-011 Guidance for SEP Recipients on Payment Procedures
SEP Notice 10-011 effective June 23, 2010
SEP 10-012 SEP Guidance Regarding Appliance Rebate Programs
SEP Program Notice 10-012 effective July 22, 2010
SEP 10-013 Guidance for State Energy Program Grantees on Qualified on Qualified Energy Conservation Bonds and New Clean Renewable Energy Bonds
SEP program notice 10-013. Effective July 28, 2010
SEP 10-014 Guidance on Non-appliance Rebates
SEP Program Notice 10-014 effective Aug. 10, 2010
SEP 10-015 Guidance for Grantees on Sub-recipient Monitoring
SEP Program Notice 10-015 effective Oct. 26, 2010
Projects Funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and Administered by EERE Notice
DOE program guidance for complying with the Buy American Provision of the 2009 Recovery Act, effective Dec. 17, 2009. You can find a more in-depth explanation of the Buy American Provision in the Recovery Act section of the EERE website.
Guidelines for States Conducting or Contracting Evaluations of ARRA Funded SEP Activities
From the SEP and American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (AARA) Evaluation Webinar June 16 and 17, 2010