Monitoring is a primary way to ensure the public purpose of the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is met at all times, including:
- Ensuring proper and timely use of funds and realization of expected benefits
- Providing transparency and accountability
- Providing quality control
- Providing technical assistance and training.
The national weatherization program has multiple layers of monitoring activities, including onsite monitoring, quarterly desktop monitoring, and ad hoc monitoring.
Per 10 CFR 440.23(b), DOE must complete periodic monitoring of the WAP Grantees. DOE focuses the onsite, desktop and ad hoc monitoring activities to assist Grantees to:
- Continue to meet the Program requirements
- Identify any new monitoring assessments or deficiencies
- Resolve any outstanding findings, concerns, or recommendations
- Identify training and technical assistance needs
- Document best practices to share with the WAP Network.
WAP Grantee Monitoring
Per 10 CFR 440.23, all WAP Grantees have the responsibility to submit an annual comprehensive monitoring plan within the grant application package as well as to perform annual monitoring of its local weatherization providers (Subgrantees). This monitoring includes:
- Oversight of the program implementation
- Fiscal review of program expenditures
- Program eligibility
- Payments to contractors and reports for reimbursement
- Material standards and weatherization installations.
WAP Grantees are also strongly encouraged to review “in progress” units in order to assess:
- Quality and compliance
- Appropriate and allowable measures
- Appropriate and accuracy of energy audits (no missed opportunities)
- Safe work practices, such as lead safe weatherization protocols.
Learn More About the WAP Monitoring Process
- Weatherization WPN 20-4: Weatherization Assistance Program Monitoring Guidance
- Onsite Monitoring Checklist
- Weatherization Monitoring Training
- Corrective Action Plan Training for Grantees (video - YouTube)
- Weatherization Monitoring Planning & Reporting Template Training (video - YouTube)