State and local governments are uniquely positioned to identify and achieve their energy efficiency and renewable energy goals through programs that leverage their roles as both governing bodies and facility or infrastructure owners. The resources available here will help state and local governments design and implement energy programs. A few of the most promising opportunities to advance energy efficiency and renewable energy are listed here.
State and local governments, and K–12 schools can find resources on the following topic areas below:
- Strategic energy planning
- Energy efficiency financing programs that enable investment in private buildings as well as lead-by-example improvements in public facilities
- Water and wastewater treatment efficiency projects in locally-owned facilities
- Outdoor and street lighting upgrades to high efficiency fixtures
- Lowering costs for low and moderate income households
- Building energy codes and appliance standards programs
- Utility and public benefit programs which often involve state utility regulators.