The Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) provide many opportunities for students, recent graduates, and others looking for internships, fellowships, and similar programs with the federal government.
- EERE is a hosting organization for the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Fellowships, which are designed to establish and nurture critical links between federal decision-makers and scientific professionals to support the creation of beneficial public policy.
- The Clean Energy Innovator Fellowship program funds recent graduates and energy professionals to work with critical energy organizations to advance clean energy solutions. The program recruits talent from diverse backgrounds to spend up to two years supporting the work of eligible host organizations, which include electric public utility commissions, municipal and cooperative utilities, and grid operators, such as regional transmission organizations or independent system operators.
- The National Graduate Education for Minority Students (GEM) is a network of leading corporations, government laboratories, top universities, and top research institutions that enables qualified students from underrepresented communities to pursue graduate education in applied science and engineering.
- The Low-Income Community Solar and Energy Assistance Fellowship offers energy professionals the opportunity to work with state and regional organizations to support the development of the Community Solar Subscription Tool. This tool, developed by DOE and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, in partnership with three pilot regions (District of Columbia, Illinois, New Mexico), aims to make community solar subscriptions that include verified savings and consumer protections more accessible to households participating in government-run low-income support programs, beginning with the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
- The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) is a DOE institute managed by Oak Ridge Associated Universities. ORISE is dedicated to enabling critical scientific, research, and health initiatives of the department and its laboratory system by providing world class expertise in STEM workforce development, and recruitment and preparation of the next generation of our nation’s scientific workforce.
- The Presidential Innovation Fellowship (PIF) pairs industry's top technologists, designers, and strategists with federal changemakers to co-create bold solutions for public good. Embedded within agencies as “entrepreneurs in residence” for one year, the PIF fellows bring the best of data science, design, engineering, product, and systems thinking into government.
- The Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program is a flagship leadership development program for advanced degree candidates with the aim of developing and training up potential government leaders.
- The DOE Scholars Program is a Department-wide internship program designed to create a pipeline of highly qualified talent in disciplinary fields that support mission critical areas of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). Those selected for the program will hold internship appointments at DOE Headquarters, DOE field offices, and other participating DOE sites.
- MEISPP is a DOE program that offers high school, undergraduate, and graduate students summer internship positions with the department and its national laboratories. Students receive an 8- to 10-week assignment in the areas of scientific research, policy, business, or government relations to help jump-start their careers.
- The Pathways Internship Program is for current students. The program provides students in high schools, colleges, trade schools and other qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore federal careers while completing their education. Student interns may be eligible for a non-competitive conversion to a term or permanent position in the civil service within 120-days of completion of his or her academic requirements (as determined by the educational institution).
- The Pathways Recent Graduate Program provides developmental experiences in the federal government. It is intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who, within the previous two years, graduated from qualifying educational institutions with an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from qualifying educational institutions. To be eligible, applicants must apply within two years of degree or certificate completion except for veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, who will have up to six years after degree or certificate completion to apply. Recent graduate participants may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a term or permanent position in the civil service, with specific requirements.
- EERE offers exciting student volunteer internships throughout the year in its Washington, D.C., headquarters. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Internships with Clean Cities coalitions are available throughout the year for undergraduate (junior or senior) or graduate students studying communications, public relations, business, marketing, engineering, or environmental sciences.
Other Federal Opportunities
Find scholarships, fellowships, internships, and research opportunities from other U.S. federal agencies related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
- DOE (Department of Energy)
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
- FS (Forest Service)
- NASA (National Aeronautical Space Administration)
- NIEHS (National Institute of Environmental Health Science)
- NIH (National Institutes of Health)
- NOAA (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration)
- NPS (National Park Service)
- NSF (National Science Foundation)
- SI (Smithsonian Institution)
- USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture)
- US FWS (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey)
Sign up to receive the latest EERE career opportunities delivered straight to your inbox!