Vary utility cost, hours of operation, and /or efficiency level.
- "Base model" has an efficiency that just meets the national minimum standard for faucets or showerheads.
- Lifetime energy cost and lifetime water cost is the sum of the discounted value of the annual energy and water costs based on an assumed faucet or showerhead life of 10 years.
- Future gas and electricity price trends and a discount rate of 3.2% are based on Federal guidelines.
- $0.06 per kWh is the Federal average electricity price in the U.S.
- $0.60 per therm is the Federal average gas price in the U.S.
- The assumed combined water and waste-water price is $4.00/1000 gallons.
This cost calculator is a screening tool that estimates a product's lifetime energy cost savings at various efficiency levels. Maintenance and installation costs do not vary significantly among the same product having different efficiencies; so, these costs are not included in this calculator tool. For a detailed life cycle cost analysis, The Federal Energy Management Program has developed a tool called Building Life Cycle Cost (BLCC). This downloadable tool allows the user to vary interest rates, installation costs, maintenance costs, salvage values, and life expectancy for a product or an entire energy project.