A Pre-Treatment Model for Ethanol Production Using a Colorimetric Analysis of Starch Solutions (1 Activity)
You are here
Below is information about the student activity/lesson plan from your search.
This module focuses on the production of sugar (glucose and maltose) from cornstarch. There are three activities:
- The first lesson from this module compares glucose production from cornstarch to ethanol fuel production from corn stover.
- The second lesson uses a calculator-based colorimeter interface from the Vernier™ Company to quantify the hydrolysis of starch to sugar by salivary amylase.
- The third lesson also uses colorimetry, this time to measure starch hydrolysis with dilute (1% volume to volume) sulfuric acid. It also includes suggestions for using starch hydrolysis and colorimetry as a basis for student designed experiments.
Environmental Science, Chemistry
5 class periods
Various chemistry lab supplies
Science Content Standards: 9-12
CONTENT STANDARD A: Science as Inquiry
- Abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry
- Understandings about scientific inquiry
CONTENT STANDARD B: Physical Science
- Structure of atoms
- Structures and of properties in matter
- Chemical reactions
CONTENT STANDARD C: Life Science
- Understanding of the cell
CONTENT STANDARD E: Science and Technology
- Abilities of technological design
- Understandings about science and technology
CONTENT STANDARD F: Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
- Natural resources
- Environmental quality
- Science and technology in local, national, and global challenges
CONTENT STANDARD G: History and Nature of Science
- Science as a human endeavor
- Nature of scientific knowledge