Below is information about the student activity/lesson plan from your search.
This plan shows how to make a rugged and inexpensive classroom wind turbine that can be used for lab bench-based blade design experiments. While a few specialized parts are needed (a hub and DC motor), the rest of the components are easily found at most hardware stores.
1-2 class periods
- Six 6” PVC pipe
- One 3” PVC pipe
- One 24” PVC pipe
- Five 1” 90° pipe fittings
- One 1” PVC coupler
- Three 1” Ts pipe fittings (1 drilled)
- One hub material (wood circle)
- One DC motor with wires and alligator clips (about 1” in diameter)
- PVC cutter or saw
- Soldering iron
- Duct tape
National Standards: 5-8
- INT-A: 2.a. Different kinds of questions require different kinds of scientific investigations, including observing and describing, collecting, experimentation, research, discovery, and making models.
- INT-E: 1.a. Identify appropriate problems for technological design.
- INT-E: 1.b. Design a solution or product.
- INT-E: 1.c. Implement a proposed design.
- INT-E: 1.d. Evaluate completed technological designs or products.
- INT-E: 1.e. Communicate the process of technological design.