For Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) websites, follow these guidelines for creating Section 508-compliant data tables in the Energy.gov content management system.
Designate Row and Column Headers
You must designate row and/or column headings for your table to be accessible. To do this:
- Place your cursor in the heading cell.
- Right click and select Cell > Cell Properties.
- Under "Cell Type," change the drop-down menu to "Header."
Captions are not required, but they're helpful for both sighted and blind users. A caption is a short description that appears above the table. They provide greater context for the data in your table. To add a caption to your table:
- Click anywhere within the table.
- Right-click and select "Table Properties."
- Add the caption in the caption field.