Steven Winter Associates, Inc. have developed a fully integrated, smart space conditioning and ventilation solution, referred to as VICS (a ventilation-integrated comfort system), for low-load dwellings such as zero energy ready homes and multifamily apartments. This innovation addresses HVAC performance issues found in low-load dwellings when space conditioning and whole-building ventilation are provided by separate mechanical systems. This lack of system integration can result in high equipment and installation costs, redundant components, and poorly integrated or nonintegrated controls. The VICS is intended to provide:
- A single device integrating a Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV) or Energy Recovery Ventilator (ERV) with a low-capacity, split heat pump fan coil to provide efficient heating, cooling, dehumidification, and whole-house ventilation
- Variable ventilation rates up to 120 cfm
- Filtration, heat recovery, conditioning, and distribution of outdoor air
- Installed cost savings of $1,000–$2,000 compared to separate, ducted ventilation and heating/cooling systems
- Separate control of supply and exhaust flows allowing for active makeup air for local exhaust fans
- Better humidity control by passing outdoor air through ERV and over a cooling coil.
Read more about this success story on the project web page.