Algae-based biofuels and bioproducts offer great promise in contributing to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Bioenergy Technologies Office’s vision of a thriving and sustainable bioeconomy fueled by innovative technologies. The state of technology for producing algal biofuels continues to mature with ongoing investment by DOE and the private sector, but additional research, development, and demonstration is needed to achieve widespread deployment of affordable, scalable, and sustainable algal biofuels.
The 2016 National Algal Biofuels Technology Review covers the following subject areas:
- Algal Biology, Genetics, and Development
- Resources for Algal Research
- Algal Cultivation
- Harvesting and Downstream Processing
- Extraction of Products from Algae
- Algal Biofuel Conversion Technologies
- Commercial Products
- Distribution and Utilization
- Resources and Sustainability
- Systems and Techno-Economic Analyses.