You are here
The Energy Department's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) today announced new topics under its Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Technology Transfer (STTR) program that will help small businesses develop innovative ideas and deliver market-driven solutions. EERE’s areas of interest range from energy-saving buildings and manufacturing to sustainable transportation and renewable electricity generation. Small businesses that win awards in these programs keep the rights to any technologies they develop and are encouraged to commercialize them.
Grant applications submitted by small businesses must respond to a specific topic and subtopic. EERE topics for this release include:
- Integrating Energy Efficient Solid-state Lighting with Advanced Sensors and Controls
- Prototype Fuel Cell-Battery Electric Hybrid Truck for Waste Transportation
- Software Tools for Photovoltaic Soft Cost Reductions and Grid Integration
- U.S. Offshore Wind Personnel and Equipment Transfer Systems
- Novel Membranes and Non-Platinum Group Metal Catalysts for Direct Methanol Fuel Cells.
The SBIR/STTR application process starts with a Letter of Intent, which eligible businesses must file by December 16, 2013. In addition, an information webinar on the topics will be held on Monday, November 4, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Register now to attend the webinar.
Key dates for potential applicants:
- Informational webinar on topics: Nov. 4, 2013
- FOA released and application period begins: Nov. 25, 2013
- Letters of Intent deadline: Dec. 16, 2013
- Applications deadline: Feb. 04, 2014
New this year, the EERE SBIR team is providing additional resources and support to potential SBIR/STTR applicants, with a focus on underserved populations— a major objective of the SBIR program since its inception. Minority- and woman-owned small businesses that seek to move their cutting-edge technologies to market are strongly encouraged to apply to the program. Sign up to receive EERE SBIR applicant resources and updates.