There is a lot to love about a limitless, low-cost energy supply: The sun, wind, water, and other renewable energy sources can keep our power on, our air clean, our citizens healthy, and our economy strong. That’s why this February 14, we’re celebrating our appreciation of clean energy with 14 lovable facts.
1. We love getting down to business: Over the next decade, clean energy deployment is expected to create an average of 1.5 million American jobs every year in manufacturing, construction, buildings, electric grid management, and more. In fact, you can apply for jobs at the U.S. Department of Energy right now and become part of the Clean Energy Corps.
2. We adore abundance: Every American deserves access to the endless supply of renewable energy. With 40% of DOE investments set to benefit disadvantaged communities through the Justice40 Initiative, DOE’s $2.5 million Inclusive Innovation Prize is funding organizations working with those communities to develop clean energy technologies.
3. We like moving fast: Prize competitions are a fun way for innovators of all stripes to join the clean energy revolution and accelerate commercialization of their technology solutions. DOE’s American-Made Challenges have turned groundbreaking ideas into prototypes life in months instead of years.
6. Sun power warms our heart: A solar-powered future could employ as many as 1.5 million people and generate up to 40% of U.S. electricity by 2035. Solar is cheaper than fossil fuels in many parts of the country, too.
9. Geothermal digs deep: California’s Salton Sea is a sustainable source of lithium, a critical component in batteries needed for electric vehicles and clean energy storage. The site could deliver up to 600,000 tons of lithium a year.