The Office of Civil Rights is responsible for monitoring and enforcing compliance with the following civil rights laws as they relate to recipients of DOE financial assistance:
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964;
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972;
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; and
- the Age Discrimination Act of 1975.
You may file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights and Diversity if you believe that you have been discriminated against by a recipient of DOE financial assistance on the following bases:
- race, color, and national origin (under Title VI);
- sex (including sexual harassment) (under Title IX);
- disability (under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act); or
- age (under the Age Discrimination Act).
You may file a complaint in person or by mail at the following address:
Office of Civil Rights and Diversity
U.S. Department of Energy
1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20585
To submit a complaint by email, please use the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit a complaint by fax, please use the following fax number: 202-586-1009.
Your complaint should contain the following information:
- your name, address, and telephone number;
- the name and address of the agency, institution, or department you believe discriminated against you;
- how, why, and when you believe you were discriminated against, including as much information as possible about the alleged acts of discrimination, and the names of the individuals whom you allege discriminated against you, if known; and
- the names of any persons, if known, that the investigating agency could contact for additional information to support or clarify your allegations.
Questions? Call us at 202-586-2218.