OCR Civil Rights Compliance and Enforcement Workshops
The Office of Civil Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity (OCR-EEO), Civil Rights Division (OCR) will host an OCR Civil Rights Compliance and Enforcement Workshop on the following dates:
- June 23, 2022 (10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm EDT)
- July 12, 2022 (10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm EDT)
The two workshops will present the same material, so if you are not able to sign-on for a full day’s session, you may join a morning session on one of the workshop dates and join the afternoon session on the other workshop date.
During the morning portion of each Workshop:
- OCR will familiarize Workshop participants with the Federal civil rights laws that apply to programs and activities operated by recipients of DOE Federal financial assistance (FFA). Presentation topics include:
- OCR’s law enforcement authorities and compliance activities pursuant to Federal civil rights statutes and DOE implementing regulations applicable to FFA.
- OCR’s Pre-Award Review Pilot, which will be launched in Fiscal Year 2022, to review the civil rights assurances submitted by selected FFA applicants, in accordance with DOE regulations.
- OCR will familiarize Workshop participants with Executive Order (E.O.) 13166, “Improving Access to Services for Persons with Limited English Proficiency.” Presentation topics include:
- Part One - Introduction to E.O. 13166 and its applicability to Federally conducted and Federally assisted programs and activities.
- Part Two - Outline of a 4-factor analysis to determine LEP access needs and requirements when conducting DOE programs and activities.
- Part Three - Summary of the components that guide the development and implementation of a written LEP Access Plan for DOE conducted programs and activities.
During the afternoon portion of each Workshop:
OCR will lead roundtable discussions on the following topics:
- Civil Rights Compliance Basics
- OCR Pre-Award Review Pilot
- LEP Plan Assessments
- OCR Regulatory Updates