On December 15th, 2021, the Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Office of Economic Impact and Diversity co-hosted with the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), an Educational Technical Assistance Webinar, designed to bring awareness to the many opportunities available to students who attend Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs). The webinar provided a detailed look into the Department of Energy’s internship programs with ORISE, with some of the programs focusing specifically on students attending MSIs.
Leslie Fox, ORISE STEM Workforce Development Section Manager, Outreach, and Engagement, gave an overview of the ORISE Application Process as well as tips and tricks for applying to these internships. Following Ms. Fox’s portion of the presentation, Igrid Gregory, STEM Workforce Development Group Manager, presented the variety of opportunities at the DOE managed by ORISE. The DOE programs listed below were discussed and additional information for these programs can be found at ORISE’s course catalog: Zintellect.
- Minority Educational Institutions Student Partnership Program
- National Nuclear Security Administration Minority Serving Institutions Internship Program
- DOE Scholars Program
- Mickey Leland Energy Fellowships
- OTT Entrepreneurship Program
- DOE Omni Technology Alliance Internship Program
- EERE AMO Internships
- Office of Science Graduate Student Research Program
- Community College Internships Program
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships
- ORNL/NETL Laboratory Programs
- Fusion Energy Sciences Postdoctoral Research Program
- EERE Science, Technology and Policy (STP) Program
- DOE Science, Technology and Policy Program
After sharing these various opportunities offered by the DOE, participating members were sent to breakout rooms to go more in-depth about what each specific program involved. Jimmy Hendrix, Program Analyst for the Office of Economic Impact and Diversity, concluded the meeting, expressing his passion for these programs and how excited the DOE is to offer them.
The Department of Energy is committed to creating a diverse and equitable workspace that models our diverse country. We will be hosting another Educational Technical Assistance Webinar on February 16th, 2022.
For access to the recording and more events, please visit our website /diversity/calendar-events.