The U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED), the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) invite you to participate in the Clean Energy on Mine Land Workshop for the West, set for October 11-12 at NREL in Golden, CO. Event and registration details to follow.
The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law of 2021 included $500M for demonstrating the technical and economic viability of carrying out clean energy projects on current and former mine land across America. The funding for this program includes up to five clean energy demonstration projects in geographically diverse regions, two of which must be solar, with a goal of replication across the country. On June 29, DOE released a request for information (RFI) seeking input on how demonstration projects can be implemented to stimulate private sector follow-on investments and deliver maximum benefits in terms of high-quality job creation, local and regional economic development, environmental justice, and greenhouse gas emission reductions.
Three workshops are planned to further inform the Clean Energy Demonstration Program on Current and Former Mine Land in preparation for a future funding opportunity announcement. Two workshops will be held in the Eastern and Western U.S. and one will be held virtually. The workshop focusing on the Western U.S. is set for October 11-12 at NREL in Golden, CO.
The workshops will bring together clean energy developers, the mining industry and land owners, federal and state regulators, economic development organizations, and representatives from community, environmental and environmental justice groups to review and discuss the opportunities for clean energy demonstrations on current and former mine land with the following high-level goals:
- Provide a detailed overview of the Clean Energy Demonstration Program on Current and Former Mine Land to interested stakeholders
- Collect feedback from stakeholders on drivers, challenges and potential impacts of mine land demonstrations
- Offer a forum for stakeholder networking in preparation for the funding opportunity announcement
The workshops will include:
- An introduction of the program and how it relates to other DOE and federal efforts
- Summary results of the Clean Energy Mine Land Demonstration RFI
- An overview of an ongoing technical analysis effort by National Laboratories focused on resource potential and economic impact assessment for clean energy technologies of interest
- Regulator, mining, reclamation company and economic development expert perspectives and case histories of prior renewable energy mine land projects
- Stakeholder listening sessions to capture demonstration opportunities and concerns