“Transparency is not only in the public interest, it is part of the scientific process. We want to make sure that independent scientists, engineers and other experts have every opportunity to review this information and make their own conclusions.”
As part of the Obama Administration’s ongoing commitment to transparency surrounding the response to the BP oil spill, the Department of Energy is providing online access to schematics, pressure tests, diagnostic results and other data about the malfunctioning blowout preventer. Secretary Chu insisted on making the data widely available to ensure the public is as informed as possible, and to ensure that outside experts making recommendations have access to the same information that BP and the government have. This site is updated regularly with new data and additional documentation.
To submit comments or suggestions, visit RestoretheGulf.gov’s Contact Us page.Latest Information
October 19th 2010
- Subsystem Configuration Containment Logistics End Jun (.jpg) - This is a diagram prepared by BP to show the surface and subsea equipment deployed to collect hydrocarbons at the end of June.
- Subsystem Configurations Containment Logistics Mid July (.jpg) - This is a diagram prepared by BP to show the surface and subsea equipment deployed to collect hydrocarbons in mid July.
- Top Hat 4 03 JUN 1130 (.pdf) - These are computer-aided drawings of Top Hat #4, a piece of equipment which was installed over the flowing well after the riser was removed. This device captured hydrocarbons so that they could be collected at the sea surface.
- Flange Connector Spool Assembly Report (.ppt) - This PowerPoint report entitled "DOE Tri-Lab Assessment of BP Flange Connector Spool & 3 Ram Capping Stack” provides an overview of the design of this device and recommended improvements as suggested by the Department of Energy Tri-Labs team members.
- BOP Pressures 07 Jun 1200 (.xls) - This is a schematic of the BOP stack with the static pressure data recoded on the 25th of May.
- Pressure Data: BOP Summary 28 May 2010 (.xls) - This is a schematic of the BOP stack with the static pressure data recoded on the 28th of May and shows pressures before and after the attempted top kill and junk shots.
- RFI Well Integrity 06 JUL 1400 (.ppt) - This PowerPoint report entitled “Well Integrity During Shut – In Operations: DOE/DOI Analyses” describes risks and suggests risk management recommendations associated with shutting in the well.
- Top Hat Pressure System Hyperbaric Test Analysis - This file contains data from pressure measurements inside Top Hat #4.
The following documents are a collection of data from operations to control flow from the Deepwater Horizon well. All information was provided directly by BP. The file names have been preserved in order to maintain a traceable record of where each file came from in the BP tracking system and whenever possible, we have worked to ensure that the contents are data readable.
Description of System
This page gives a general overview of the well, the blow out preventer, the lower marine reservoir package and the riser configuration as best known after the April 20 fire on the Deepwater Horizon.
- Well Configuration (.pdf)– showing the depths and sizes of the different casings installed during the well’s construction.
Timeline of Key Events
This page summarizes the key events, including operations such as the kill attempt, the cutting of the riser, and recovery of hydrocarbons at the surface.
- Key Events Timeline (.ppt) - This document lists key events beginning with the April 20 fire on the Deepwater Horizon through July 28th. Updated July 28, 2010.
This page describes the short and medium term containment and collection efforts that have been implemented. It also includes data from surface collection efforts to date.
- Riser Insertion Tube Tool Description (.pdf) - This graphical image shows the layout and configuration of the device used to first collect hydrocarbons from the broken riser lying on the sea floor.
- Lower Marine Riser Package [LMRP] Top Hat System (.pdf) - This graphic shows the configuration of the system, which collects hydrocarbons, takes them to the surface and processes them.
- Lower Marine Riser Package [LMRP] Top Hat Device (.pdf) - This file contains computer aided drawings for a device that sits atop the sheared riser and captures a portion of the hydrocarbons. This device is called Top Hat #4.
Data on Collection to the Surface - This file is the data describing the quantities of oil and gas recovered on the surface from the Riser Insertion Tube Tool, the Choke Line and the Lower Marine Riser Package Top Hat #4.
- Combined Total Amount of Oil and Gas Recovered Daily from the Top Hat and Choke Line oil recovery systems. (.xls) (.ods) Updated through 12:00 AM on July 16, 2010.
- Visual Breakout of the Cummulative Barrels of Oil Recovered by the Discoverer Enterprise, Q4000 and HP1. Updated through 12:00 AM on July 16, 2010.
- Oil and Gas Recovery Data from the Riser Insertion Tube from May 17 until the Riser Insertion Tube was disconnected on May 24 in preparation for cutting off the riser (.xls) (.ods)
- Oil and Gas Flow Data from the Top Hat and from the Choke Line (.xls) (.ods) Updated through 12:00 AM on July 10, 2010
BOP Stack Details
This page provides information about a number of the key components of the system: the Blow Out Preventer, the Lower Marine Riser Package, and the associated piping which is located above the wellhead on the sea floor.
- Blow Out Preventer Drawing (.pdf) - This file is an engineering drawing of the Blow Out Preventer with the key components labeled.
- Pressure Data Within BOP (.xls) (.ods) – This file describes the components within the BOP and the pressure readings taken during diagnostic operations on May 25.
Top Kill Operations
This page provides detailed information on the top kill process (conducted in late May) and results.
- Top Kill Operational Concept and Status (.pdf) - This file contains a cartoon schematic of the Top Kill operational concept and layout of surface and underwater vessels and a status of Top Kill #1 - 3.
- Deepwater Horizon Containment - This file details plans for future oil containment during the sealing cap operation and also display the associated relief well operation.
- Enterprise Top Hat Phases - This file details contigency plans in the event a top hat device needs to be used for oil collection.
The video playlist below features high-definition footage of the oil leak and top hat procedure that took place on June 3rd, 2010.