The Workplace Skills Enhancement Program (WSEP) helps businesses in strategic sectors train employees to improve productivity and/or global competitiveness.
Eligible applicants are businesses in strategic sectors including corporations, partnerships, sole proprietorships, co-operatives, social enterprises and business networks.
It may also include not-for-profit organizations on behalf of businesses. Strategic sectors include:
• Advanced Technologies
• Agri-foods, Food and beverage
• biotechnology and life sciences
• environmental industries
• Forest Products
• Marine and ocean Technology
• Mineral resources, natural stone
• Tourism and cultural industries
The program may provide:
• A non-repayable contribution for skills development of existing employees for up to 75% of eligible costs to an average of $10,000 per employee. This may include advanced skills training, technical skill development, on-the-job training, workplace-specific skills upgrading or industry-recognized certification. Eligible participants include relatively low-skilled employees, in particular those who do not have the certification(s) or skills required to meet the operational needs of the employer.
• A non-repayable contribution of up to $5,000 for an initiative that strengthens human resource planning and development capacity among businesses and partners in an economic zone. This may include industry needs assessments, sectoral training plans and labour market
or human resource workshops and information sessions. Regional and provincial initiatives may also be eligible.