The Department of Energy utilizes project management lessons learned (PMLL) in the execution of DOE capital asset projects to improve current and future projects. Integrated Project Team’s (IPTs), both from the Contractor and Federal staff, submit the PMLLs during the execution of capital asset projects. These first-hand accounts address the challenges they encountered and the solutions they devised to achieve improvement.
Per DOE O 413.3B, PMLL reports must be submitted to the Project Management Support Office (PMSO) and the Office of Project Management Oversight and Assessments (PM) at two points:
- Within 90 days of Critical Decision (CD-3) approval-- Lessons learned regarding up-front planning and design.
- Within 90 days of Critical Decision (CD-4) approval-- Lessons learned from project execution and facility start-up
FPDs are highly encouraged to add their PMLLs directly into the PARS II Lessons Learned Repository. The repository search capability allows users to locate PMLLs using various filter criteria. A few select PMLLs are also available on this page.
Select Lessons Learned:
- Salt Waste Processing Facility, Construction Turnover to Testing and Commissioning Oversight
- Salt Waste Processing Facility, System Turnover from Construction to Commissioning
- Salt Waste Processing Facility, Line Management Review Board Charter
- Salt Waste Processing Facility, Declaration of Construction Completion and Verification of Readiness to Test
Lessons Learned Articles:
- NQA-1: An Overview for Federal Project Directors
- LINAC Coherent Light Source
- The Role of the Federal Project Director: Lessons from the National Ignition Facility
- The Spallation Neutron Source Project