The Department of Energy utilizes project management lessons learned (PMLL) in the execution of DOE capital asset projects to improve current and future projects. Integrated Project Team’s (IPTs), both from the Contractor and Federal staff, submit the PMLLs during the execution of capital asset projects. These first-hand accounts address the challenges they encountered and the solutions they devised to achieve improvement.
Per DOE O 413.3B, PMLL reports must be submitted to the Project Management Support Office (PMSO) and the Office of Acquisition and Project Management (OAPM) at two points:
- Within 90 days of Critical Decision (CD-3) approval-- Lessons learned regarding up-front planning and design.
- Within 90 days of Critical Decision (CD-4) approval-- Lessons learned from project execution and facility start-up
All PMLLs submitted to OAPM are filed in PARS II under their respective projects. Select PMLLs are also available on this page.
Select Lessons Learned:
- Soil and Groundwater Cleanup - In-Situ Grouting, Lessons Learned (Post CD-4), Environmental Management Cleanup, May 2011
- Heating National Ignition Facility, Realistic Financial Planning & Rapid Modification...Lessons Learned Report, Apr 2010
- Idaho Spent Fuel Facility (ISFF) Project, Appropriate Acquisition Strategy Lessons Learned Report, NNSA, Feb 2010
- Highly Enriched Uranium Materials Facility, Major Design Changes Late...Lessons Learned Report, NNSA, Dec 2010
- Heating System Modernization, Management of Peripheral Scope Lessons Learned Report, NNSA, Dec 2010
- Integrated Biorefinery Research Facility (IBRF I-II) (Post CD-4), EERE, Aug 2011
- C-340 Complex D&D Final Lessons Learned (Post CD-4), Environmental Management Cleanup, Sep 2011
- Rocky Flats Closure Project EM, Aug 2006
Lessons Learned Articles: