"A sustainable society is one which satisfies its needs without diminishing the prospects of future generations."
- Lester R. Brown, Founder and President, Worldwatch Institute
Department of Energy facilities managers have a significant role to play in achieving the goals of E.O. 13423, Strengthening Federal Environmental Energy and Transportation Management and E.O. 13514, Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance. The expectation is that DOE will build, operate and maintain energy efficient, environmentally sensitive buildings that provide a comfortable and productive working environment. DOE Sustainable Environmental Stewardship will reduce the cost and environmental impact of Federal government facilities by advancing energy efficiency and water conservation, promoting the use of renewable energy, and improving utility management decisions at DOE sites.
- Installation of Cool Roofs on Department of Energy Buildings
- Implementation of Executive Order 13514, Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance
- ISWG High Performance Sustainable Buildings (HPSB) Guidance
- The Guiding Principles: Federal Leadership in High Performance and Sustainable Buildings Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- DOE Space Allocation Standard
- U.S. Department of Energy High Performance and Sustainable Buildings Implementation Plan
- DOE Sustainable Buildings and Campuses
- USGBC Roadmap to Sustainable Government Buildings
- DOE Greening Federal Facilities, Resource Guide
- GSA Green Lease Policies and Procedures for Lease Acquisition
- GSA Sustainable Facilities Tool
- National Institute of Building Sciences Whole Building Design Guide
- GSA Facilities Standards for the Public Buildings Service
- Cool Roof Resources for Federal Agencies
- EPA Technical Guidance on Implementing the Stormwater Runoff Requirements for Federal Projects, December 2009
- USDA BioPreferred Catalog
- EPA WaterSense
Site Sustainability Plans are required by DOE Order 436.1 to ensure that the Department meets is mandated goals. The Sustainability Performance Offices issues guidance annually. For more information visit the Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy, Sustainability Performance Office website.