The team evaluates and incorporates, as deemed appropriate for LM operations, the requirements for vehicle and fuel use as defined in Executive Order (EO) 13423, Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management, and (EO) 13514, Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance, and DOE Order 436.1, Departmental Sustainability, and approved by LM. The Vehicle and Fuel Use Team advocates natural resource sustainability by evaluating vehicle and fuel use.
The team evaluates the vehicle and fuel use goals included in Executive Orders 13423 and 13514, establishes metrics, and develops and implements a plan of action to meet these goals. These goals may include increasing purchases of alternative fuel, hybrid, and plug-in hybrid vehicles when they are commercially available and reducing petroleum consumption in fleet vehicles. Factors to be considered in attainment of these goals include the addition of sites to the LM system, availability of alternative fuels, and types of vehicles required for work conducted by LM, which typically includes remote travel and fieldwork.
- Develop and implement a system to monitor and evaluate progress.
- Maintain/implement a vehicle and fuel use plan.
- Review data collection and implement an automated system to replace handwritten trip tickets.
- Continual analysis of vehicle data to identify areas of improvement for goal/target accomplishment.
- Provide information to increase employee awareness.
- Report status regularly.