The team establishes a national approach to expand purchases of sustainable goods and services, including biobased products, as deemed appropriate for LM operations and approved by LM, as defined in:
- Executive Order (EO) 13693, Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade, and
- DOE Order 436.1, Departmental Sustainability
The team advocates implementation of a sustainable procurement process.
The team has established a process to evaluate the procurement of goods and services for LM using the acquisition of environmentally preferable products and services, including the acquisition of biobased, environmentally preferable, energy-efficient, water-efficient, and recycled-content products, and use of paper of at least 30 percent post-consumer fiber content. This approach will apply when it is life-cycle cost-effective and when the relevant products, utility, and performance are not compromised as a result of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s guidance.
- Maintain a system to monitor and evaluate sustainable acquisition progress.
- Maintain/implement a plan that integrates sustainable acquisition into LM activities.
- Provide employee awareness and training.
- Establish sustainable acquisition baselines for LM sites.
- Propose sustainable acquisition goals/targets.
- Develop metrics to measure and report sustainable acquisition performance.