May 13, 2002
The Plutonium Stabilization and Packaging System at the Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site
From 1952 to 1989, the Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site (Rocky Flats) produced nuclear weapons components for the Department of Energy. In January 1992, the primary mission of the site changed from nuclear weapons production to site cleanup and closure. A prerequisite to closure is the removal of 9,800 kilograms of plutonium metals and oxides stored at the site. Rocky Flats estimates that these metals and oxides will be packaged into 1,900 containers which, as currently planned, will be shipped to the Department's Savannah River Site.