The Office of Standard Contract Management manages the Standard Contracts for Disposal of Spent Nuclear Fuel and/or High- Level Radioactive Waste between the Department and the nuclear industry under the Nuclear Waste Policy Act, including interactions related to settlements and litigation under the Standard Contracts for Disposal of Spent Nuclear Fuel and/or High-Level Radioactive Waste with the nuclear industry, and the management of Nuclear Waste Fund activities.
The Standard Contracts Team has responsibility to:
- Act as Federal contracting officer for contracts with the nuclear power utilities;
- Evaluate materials related to the on-going Applications for Allowable and Reasonable Costs (claims) pursuant to settlement agreements;
- Support proposed settlement discussions and litigation preparation and court proceedings for the Deputy General Counsel for Environment and Nuclear Programs and Department of Justice;
- Prepare responses to correspondence regarding Nuclear Waste Policy Act issues raised by congressional, Inspector General, Government Accountability Office and Freedom of Information Act enquiries; and
- Collect, verify, track and assess the annual fees paid by nuclear utilities under their contracts with the Federal government.
The Nuclear Waste Fund Activities Management Team has responsibility to:
- Manage the investments and expenditures of the Nuclear Waste Fund;
- Support correspondence regarding Nuclear Waste Policy Act issues raised by congressional, Inspector General, Government Accounting Office and Freedom of Information Act inquiries; and,
- Manage the annual fee adequacy assessment process.