The mission of the Environmental Management Advisory Board is to provide independent and external advice, information, and recommendations to the Assistant Secretary for Environmental Management (EM) on corporate issues relating to accelerated site clean-up and risk reduction.
The Board works to identify applicable private sector best management practices and provides counsel on how to integrate them into the EM program. The Board works with the private sector to identify barriers to the effective execution of the Assistant Secretary’s program objectives and facilitates discussions between the Department and private industry for knowledge sharing. Lastly, EMAB provides strategic management advice on where and how to focus the Program’s resources to achieve maximum impact and greatest risk reduction.
EMAB’s activities are governed by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA), which was enacted to ensure that the general public has access to advisory board deliberations and recommendations. The membership of EMAB includes individuals from governmental and nongovernmental entities, private industry, and scientific and academic communities.
- Submitting advice and recommendations to the Assistant Secretary for EM on programmatic issues.
DOE'S OBLIGATIONS TO THE BOARD
- Keeping the Board informed about key issues and upcoming decisions.
- Requesting advice well in advance of DOE deadlines.
- Considering and responding in a timely manner to all Board recommendations.
- Providing adequate administrative and technical support.