The Office of Environmental Management's (EM) American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Program recently achieved 74 percent footprint reduction, exceeding the originally established goal of 40 percent. EM has reduced its pre-Recovery Act footprint of 931 square miles, established in 2009, by 690 square miles. Reducing its contaminated footprint to 241 square miles has proven to be a monumental task, and a challenge the EM team was ready to take on from the beginning.
- The EM Recovery Act Program set a goal of achieving accelerated completion of 46 regulatory milestones by the end of FY 2011 using Recovery Act funds
- For 91% of the targeted milestones, EM successfully completed the goal of acceleration
- This performance is consistent with EM's overall, historical success rate regarding regulatory milestone completion
- Milestone completions successfully accelerated: 42
- Milestones not completed by accelerated target date: 4
- Percent of milestone acceleration goal achieved: 91%