Statutes, Regulations, Executive Orders, DOE Directives and Bulletins
- Atomic Energy Act of 1954 - Establishes Government-wide policies for classifying, safeguarding, and declassifying Restricted Data information.
- 10 CFR Part 1045 - establishes responsiblities and requirements for classifying and declassifying RD and FRD.
- Executive Order 13526, Classified National Security Information - Prescribes the Government-wide system for classifying, safeguarding, and declassifying NSI.
- 32 CFR Part 2001, Classified National Security Information, Final Rule - implements Executive Order 13526.
- ISOO Notice 2011-02, Further Guidance and Clarification on Commingling Atomic Energy Information and Classified National Security Information - provides guidance for marking documents containing Restricted Data, Formerly Restricted Data or Transclassified Foreign Nuclear Information mixed with National Security Information.
- Public Law 105-261, Section 3161, Protection Against Inadvertent Release of Restricted Data and Formerly Restricted Data - Requires every Government agency implementing the automatic declassification provisions of section 3.3 of Executive Order 12958 to follow procedures (i.e., a plan) to prevent the inadvertent release of records containing RD or FRD.
- Public Law 106-65, Section 3149, Supplement to Plan for Declassification of Restricted Data and Formerly Restricted Data - Extends the plan requirements developed under section 3161 of Public Law 105-261 to apply to records already processed under section 3.3 of Executive Order 12958.
- Public Law 106-398, Section 3193, Frequency of Reports on Inadvertent Releases of Restricted Data and Formerly Restricted Data - Requires the Secretary of Energy to submit a report on inadvertent releases to specified congressional committees and the Assistant to the President on a quarterly basis.
- DOE Order 475.2B - Identifying Classified Information - Establishes requirements for managing the DOE program including details for classifying and declassifying information, documents, and material classified under the Atomic Energy Act [Restricted Data (RD) and Formerly Restricted Data (FRD)] or Executive Order 13526 [National Security Information (NSI)], so that it can be protected against unauthorized dissemination.
- Classification Bulletin GEN-16 Revision 2 - "No Comment" Policy on Classified Information in the Open Literature - Provides information concerning reading and possessing open source documents that contain classified information, collecting publications or lists of publications containing classified information, and using sources from the open literature containing classified information.
Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information
- 10 CFR Part 1017, Identification and Protection of Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information - Establishes the Government-wide policies and procedures for implementing the requirements of section 148 of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 concerning identifying and protecting certain unclassified but sensitive Government information that concerns atomic energy defense programs.
- DOE Order 471.1B, Identification and Protection of Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information - Establishes requirements for managing the DOE program for identifying and protecting UCNI.
Official Use Only
- DOE O 471.3 Admin Chg 1, and DOE M 471.3-1 Admin Chg 1, Identification and Protection of Official Use Only Information - Establishes requirements for the DOE program to identify certain unclassified information as Official Use Only and to identify, mark, and protect documents containing such information.
- Policy Bulletin 4, Change 1, Exemption 2 Guidance, provides DOE personnel guidance when a classification guide topic refers to "Exemption 2, Circumvention of Statute" as the basis for OUO. Note: This bulletin applies only to OUO determinations that are based on DOE classification guides.
- The Department of Energy's National Security Information Fundamental Classification Guidance Review
Report to the Information Security Oversight Office, June 2012
- Reports to Congress on Inadvertent Releases of Restricted Data and Formerly Restricted Data under Executive Order 12958