On April 10, 2014, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced a $4 million funding opportunity titled “Marine and Hydrokinetic Development University Consortium.” This funding opportunity is supporting the advancement of wave and tidal energy technologies while developing a globally competitive MHK workforce.
This funding will support one consortium of universities over three years in multiple field-focused R&D activities to address strategic opportunities in DOE’s MHK technology development portfolio such as:
• Logistics development for operations and maintenance of devices and arrays in energetic marine environments.
• Development and validation of efficient high-fidelity resource characterization and/or modeling techniques.
• Development and techno-economic studies of devices for distributed applications.
• Component technology development necessary for enabling arrays: e.g. moorings and foundations, transmission, and other offshore grid components.
• Array performance testing and evaluation.
• In-water testing and evaluation of new, cost-effective environmental monitoring techniques and instrumentation in energetic marine environments.
Read the full Funding Opportunity Announcement on the Department of Energy’s Funding Opportunity Exchange.
To learn about funding opportunities available through the Water Power Program, please visit the Financial Opportunities Web page. To receive timely news updates, please subscribe to the Water Power Program’s Breaking News Updates.