The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) provides project assistance to Federal agencies through competitive funding solicitations.
AFFECT Funding Opportunity
On November 5, 2013, FEMP issued a funding opportunity announcement (FOA) on the EERE Exchange titled "Assisting Federal Facilities with Energy Conservation Technologies (AFFECT)" DE-FOA-0000901. The release of the FOA followed the notice of intent, which was issued on July 9, 2013.
AFFECT provides grants for the development of capital projects to increase the energy efficiency and renewable energy investments at Federal agency facilities.
- Up to $5 million in direct funding for combined heat and power and renewable energy projects.
- Only U.S. Federal agencies, sub-agencies, and national laboratory contractors were eligible to apply, and only Federal government-owned facilities are eligible.
- The funding level per award is up to $1 million.
- Agencies are expected to significantly leverage FOA funds using agency‐appropriated funds or alternative project financing mechanisms, such as energy savings performance contracts, utility energy savings contracts, or on-site renewable power purchase agreements to complete the projects.
- All projects should lend themselves to follow‐on efforts at additional Federal sites.
- Projects must demonstrate life cycle cost effectiveness per 10 CFR 436, Subpart A.
- December 10, 2013: Letters of intent due
- February 18, 2014: Full applications due
- April 29, 2014: Award selections made
- June 10, 2014: Grant awards initiated